What Paperwork Do I Need to Trade in My Car?

Signing Finance Documents for Car

Are you eager to spice things up on the Kalkaska streets? If you’re ready to take on your Lake City commute in a fresh set of wheels, you’re likely ready to sell your old car. This often leads many drivers to ask, “What paperwork do I need to trade in my car?” Here at Serra Traverse City, we offer the car finance tips you need to take on every phase of your ownership journey. From initial research to getting ready to sell, our mission is to support you at every step. Learn more about selling your car to a dealership below, then use our trade value tool to get an estimate of what your vehicle is currently worth!



Which Car Trade-In Documents Are Needed to Make a Sale?

So, what paperwork do I need to trade in my car? Find out here:

  • Title: As your proof of ownership, you’ll want to have the title of your vehicle on hand to make a quick sale. 
  • Registration: In order to transfer your license plate, you’ll need your registration.
  • Insurance Information: Since insurance is a legal requirement for drivers, having your insurance information with you will allow you to drive the new vehicle off the lot. 
  • Loan Information: If you’re still making payments on your vehicle, you’re not technically the owner. Our team will work with your loan provider to make a transfer for you!
  • Service Record: While optional, a strong service record is a great selling point for any vehicle! 

Do You Need a Title to Trade in a Car?

A major question we hear at our Serra Traverse City dealerships is, “Do you need a title to trade in a car?” Yes, you do need the title of a vehicle to trade to a dealership. Reputable car dealerships like those in the Serra Traverse City family adhere to laws that require a title before a sale takes place. 

If you’re asking, “Do you need a title to trade in a car?” because there’s a lienholder on your account, the answer is still yes. However, you don’t have to worry about getting your hands on the document yourself. In this scenario, our team will get in touch with the lienholder and secure the title transfer on your behalf. 

What do you do if you’ve lost your title? If the ownership of the vehicle is in your name, you’re in luck. You can simply take a trip to the DMV and get an extra copy of the title. What car trade-in documents are needed to replace a title? Typically, you’ll need to provide your Social Security number, driver’s license, and vehicle identification number (VIN). If the vehicle isn’t in your name, often due to a divorce or the passing of a family member, our financiers can walk you through the steps of securing your title. 

Find Your Automotive Upgrade in Traverse City

Now that you know what documents are needed to trade in a car, you can confidently head to any of our Bellaire-area dealerships to make a deal. Along with teaching you about which car trade-in documents are needed, we can help you explore good interest rates for car loans and even compare used vs. certified pre-owned


More from Serra Traverse City

  • 2022 Cadillac XT6 Interior

      Are you eager to hit the Bellaire streets in a fresh SUV? If so, the luxury found on the new Cadillac XT6 inside is likely to have a match for every item on your wishlist. Not only is the Cadillac XT6 interior loaded with high-end appointments, but it’s also spacious and comfortable enough for…

  • 2022 Toyota Tacoma Colors

    The Toyota Tacoma is a well-known model that gets the job done in style. Whether you’re looking for strong towing specs, efficient mpg capabilities, or a head-turning pickup truck, you can have it all when you explore our Toyota showroom for your ideal Tacoma. If you don’t find your fit at our Toyota dealership near…

  • Join us for the Community Blood Drive hosted by Serra Toyota Traverse City on Friday July 15, from 10am – 4pm at our Toyota Showroom

    Join us for the Community Blood Drive hosted by Serra Toyota Traverse City on Friday July 15, from 10am – 4pm at our Toyota Showroom located at 1302 S. Garfield Ave. Please sign up to donate by calling 1-866-Mi-Blood or visit www.Versiti.org/Mi – Appointments preferred, but Walk-ins are welcome. Donate and receive a limited-edition Versiti…

Serra Traverse City 44.735181, -85.594550.